Monday, May 14, 2012

In love with locs

Deciding to grow my locs was a huge decision for me regarding my hair. Was I ready? Did I realize that they would be a permanent part of my life unless I decided to cut them? Yes, I was ready and yes I knew that they would be a permanent part of my life, and I was just fine with that. I have never felt so right about a decision as I have with the decision to loc my hair. I have had my locs now for about 5 years and this was not the first time I decided to grow them. I started growing them initially almost 10 years ago but cut them after about 4 years and just grew my hair out for about 2 years before I decided to loc my hair again. During that two year hiatus, I wore my hair in an afro, twists or up in a bun. I took my time to enjoy the natural texture of my hair, how it felt in my hands, the softness and the thickness of it. It would take me hours to settle on a style for my hair during that time and even longer to complete the style! But I enjoyed taking time to oil my scalp, part my hair and twist or braid it up as my mother had done for me when I was a little girl sitting between her lap waiting for her to finish "doing" my hair. However, all too soon this became quite a process for me, especially with two little girls in tow! Not only was I responsible for my hair, but their little heads needed to be done too! I knew that I was beginning to yearn to feel locs against my face again so I began to prepare myself to grow them. One day, I stood in the mirror and sectioned my hair into little squares all over my head like I usually did when I planned to twist it. Only this time, I would not be taking these twists out! It was a tedious process, but as I twisted the last little piece of my hair, I felt excited about growing my locs again. It took almost 4 months for my hair to form into locs, which to me seemed like forever but it was so worth it...I have had my hair in almost every style since I was a girl...a perm, braids, a bob, locs, afro and now locs again but for good this time ;)...I look at my hair and I truly feel like I'm "in my element" with locs. When I sleep, I feel them brush against my cheeks at night, when I run, I feel them bounce against my back, when I go swim at the beach they drink up the ocean water and cool my skin with a steady stream of water, and when the sun hits them, they shine....And so do I!

No comments:

Post a Comment